[pct-l] Pack animals on PCT

John Mertes wrote:

> Well I have an unique llama experience, though it occurred well off
> the PCT. I was hiking in Redwood Regional Park near Oakland, CA on a
> winter day. Lo and behold a group came the other way along the main
> trail. In front was a llama who came up and "kissed" (licked) me on
> the forehead. The other party was upset but it was a delightful
> experience for me. Llamas are interesting!
>
> John
>
> DjgPct@aol.com wrote:
>

>> In a message dated 6/6/2005 4:41:50 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
>> ECPG@peoplepc.com writes:
>>
>> They are  not motorcycles and a bad/tired/confused animal will wreck
>> your hiking  plans faster than 20 feet of snow anywhere.

>> This reminds me of a funny story that I heard.  A local fellow who
>> packs often and has done so for years, was engaged to teach some
>> young girl  campers about packing with llamas.  He and the camp
>> counselors planned a  long weekend trip into our nearby wilderness
>> area, where he had packed many  times.  He brought along 15 or so
>> llamas.  About 3 hours into the  trip, all the llamas sat down.  He
>> could not get them off the ground for  anything.  Finally they had to
>> cancel the pack trip.  The girls went  home.  The llamas stayed put
>> just sitting for TWO DAYS!  Finally they  decided it was time to get
>> up, and they did.  It was his last llama  experience!
>>
>> Betsy

Just one of my five llamas is a kisser.  If you approach him with your
face thrust forward and your hands behind your back,he will carefully
sniff your whole face.  He sometimes gently  nibbles my face with his
lips, although I haven't seen him do that to anyone else.
He is especially interested in sniffing men with facial hair.
On the trail I have seen him stick his face right into the face of
passing hikers, and I tell them to throw their hands in front of their
face.  This will make him back off instantly.
I know it is a bad habit but some people find it endearing.
llamalady