[pct-l] down vs synthetic

The "Gear Guide" issue of Backpacker magazine (March 2005) has an
impressive table in the back listing sleeping bags from different
manufactures, their features, and their weights.

There are some hybrid down/synthetic bags that are appealing except that
they are a little bulkier than pure down.  The synthetic is on the
bottom and the down is on top.

The magazine issue also has tables of weights and features for backpacks
and shelters.  There is less comprehensive information on stoves,
sleeping pads, and rain gear.  Footwear is covered.  My impression is
that they are hesitant to give negative reviews, so their gear
complaints are mild, but it's a good resource for comparison if you're
planning on making some big purchases.

Sarah