[pct-l] Getting Into Trouble on the Trail

This email frightens me!!!  It does not have anything to do with whether
this person is going lightweight or what he is carrying on his back.

There are a lot of steep, north facing slopes between the border and rainey
pass, which if they were snow covered, and it was cold, I would not dream of
going across or around without an ice ax.  The steep areas up high are more
likely to have snow accumulated below where the slope ameliorates  ( i.e.
can't necessarily circumvent the snow, and the snow in the trees is more
likely to be icey than the snow in the open).  Hiting a tree or a cliff when
you slip on icey snow in the forest has a very real effect.

.
> I like anticipating the worst and having a plan.  For me that means adding
> two days to this section, anticipating dropping down to avoid said icy
> slopes.  I also anticipate walking in forest on soft snow that is one two
> foot deep step after another.  I'm not going to carry an ice axe as I've
> never used one, or use crampons, as I don't want to put myself in a
> situation where they are necessary.
THIS IS NOT A GOOD PLAN!!!

The Sierras  and the NOrth Cascades are two entirely different ranges. The
type of things that you talk about to avoid icey snow are often possible in
the Sierrras and on the Continental Divide, they may not be realistic in the
North Cascades.

Just because you do not carry an ice ax or crampons, does not mean that you
will avoid  situations where you will need them.  It takes experience to use
an ice ax and crampons; IT TAKES MORE EXPERIENCE TO KNOW WHEN THEY ARE
NEEDED AND TO AVOID THOSE SITUATIONS WHEN YOU DO NOT HAVE THEM. People
regularly get hurt because they think they do not need an ice ax.

Some bad accients have happened where the trail is interspersed with small
patches of snow, this means there is no run out , and when you slip on the
snow you can not get control before you hit something. Did Seabreeze find
this out??

This plan was made by someone that has no real experience with snow in the
NOrth Cascades. Experience on the snow in California, does not equate with
what kind of experience you need in the NOrth Cascades on snow (the snow,
the conditions, the slope, rock, weather are all different)

If there is still snow, do not go on it.  Find an alternate route.  Go out
Frosty pass, near Castle Pass, down to the Chudhuwanteen, to the airport
,over Robinson Pass and into Mazama(L8, plus a USFS Okanogan map)- Lots of
solitude!!!.  Once south of Hopkins Lake, you would need a lot more
Mountaineering skills( and an ice ax) to" drop down to avoid said icy
slopes", than you would if you stayed on the PCT.  But if there is icey
snow, you have to have an ice ax and know how to use it.

 Goforth