[pct-l] re: Glacier re-route

>I wonder if anyone heading south from the border intends to take the regular
>PCT around Glacier Peak and ford the Suiattle River and Milk Creek, what I
>think are likely the two most dangerous crossings...

>If not, has anyone thought of walking down the Suiattle River to the bridge
>just a mile or so from the trailhead that crosses the river and heads up
>Milk Creek? Wouldn't this avoid both crossings? (provided the downstream
>bridge is still there - anyone know?)

>Jeff Olson
>bend Or

Sorry Jeff, but BOTH bridges on the Suiattle River were wiped out (including the one near the trailhead). And the bridge on the Suiattle River Road leading to the trailhead from Darrington was wiped out too. So you would not be able to hitch out to Darrington to resupply as some people do.

Here is a link for scheduled repair of bridges in the area:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/mbs/conditions/trail-flood-damage-status.shtml

These bridges will not be repaired until the 2006 season.

Even if you managed to ford both the Suiattle and Milk Creek, you would also have to ford the White Chuck which is probably worse than Milk Creek.

I'd stick with the alternative route.