[pct-l] Re: Glacier re-route

Southbound,  you might be able to do a better route than the eastern reroute
by hiking down the Suiattle to route 530(about 10 miles), hitching to either
Kennedy Hot springs trailhead or the Sloan Creek trailhead(These are popular
in the summer).  If you went back in at Kennedy Hot Springs(5 miles) you
would stilll have  creek crossings just NOrth of red Pass, including the
White Chuck(which would be the most difficult - where the PCT crosses it is
narrow and steep), but you would avoid the worse parts - Kennedy
Ridge,Pumice Creek, Fire creek Pass, Mica Lake, Milk Creek, Vista Ridge,
gamma Creek, and the Suiattle Crossing.  If you reentered from the mountain
loop highway, sloan creek via the N. Fk of the Sauk(10 mile trail), you
would  reconnect with the PCT between White and Red Pass.  Still seems
shorter than the "official reroute".

the same North Fork of the Sauk trailhead can be used to access the PCT
through Curry Gapand June Mountain, Blue Lake and Johnson Ridge, as well as
Cady and Dishpan Gaps.

Either way you would go through the town of Darrington, where there is a
post office, and restaurant, motel and grocery store, it would be easier to
resupply there than in Skykomish, or Stehekin or rainey Pass.

Why isn't anybody using this route??  Looks shorter, less hazardous,
possibly more of the "real" PCT and the scenic segments north of red Pass
(one of my favorite parts of the trail).

Last year the bridge was out on the suiatle River at Downey Creek  You might
still have a river ford there, but otherwise the Suiattle river trail stays
on the South side of the river and you would not need to cross it.

Also, the last I heard, Kennedy Hot Springs was under a pile of debris.

Joanne