[pct-l] Getting Into Trouble on the Trail

re: lightweight gear

Heavyweight or lightweight...doesn't matter. If a
person does not know how to use their gear they are
SOL.

A true lightweight backpacker does not eschew need
gear (like shelter) to save weight. A lightweight
backpacker will take all they gear they need and no
more.

Many lightweight backpackers tend to be more
experienced (not always, esp. among new thru-hikers at
times) and have the chops to backup their minimalist
approach.

Ulitmately, the best piece of gear is is what is in
the grey matter. It allows a hiker to adapt, thrive
and survive.

Finally..a few fitting words from Cactus Ed:

"A  venturesome minority will always be eager to set
off on their own,
and no obstacles should be placed in their path; let
them take risks, for godsake,

let them get lost, sunburnt, stranded, drowned, eaten
by bears, buried alive under avalanches - that is the
right and privilege of any free American."

--Ed Abbey

--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com