[pct-l] Getting Into Trouble on the Trail

I've scoured the guidebook about the section between the border and Rainy
Pass and there are a number of north facing, steep slopes the trail
traverses that are likely to be icy all day long.

I like anticipating the worst and having a plan.  For me that means adding
two days to this section, anticipating dropping down to avoid said icy
slopes.  I also anticipate walking in forest on soft snow that is one two
foot deep step after another.  I'm not going to carry an ice axe as I've
never used one, or use crampons, as I don't want to put myself in a
situation where they are necessary.

I've also hiked the trail around Glacier Peak and think the fords won't be
as bad as they have been built to be.  Again, it means extra time to scout
upstream to find a braid or log.

Does anyone remember hiking the Tahoe-Yosemite Trail and crossing the
Mokolume River?  There was a log you hunched along halfway across.  Then you
took  your pack off and held it over your head as you walked in what was for
me, rib high water.  I lost my footing a couple times and started to float
downstream.  it was slow moving, but powerful...

Getting in the spirit...

Jeff Olson
Bend OR