[pct-l] New Rules for Our Forest?

I have always had the opinion that the more trees the better and down with
clear cutting.  But I have to come back to reality.  I know that pictures of our
forest and national park backcounty 100 years ago show a lot less tress than
the same pictures today.  There were a lot more open spaces and meadows back
then.  Ever since humans have started to "manage" the land, things have gone
wrong -- especially with fire suppression.

I wish there was some way to selectively cut trees out of our forest lands
(including national parks) to get the balance back to what it was in the old
days of 100 or 500 years ago.  I have no idea how this could be done.  But I bet
you would not need clear cutting for lumber anymore.  And all our lumber needs
and jobs would be accommodated.  It seems trees have become weeds in many
places.  I wonder what the PCT trail country would have looked like 500 years
ago.

Just a random thought from ignorant Switchback.  Thanks.