[pct-l] Yosemite 3 Day

what to do for 3 days in Yosemite....

the problem really is that there is so much to do.  Not sure what kind
of shape you are in, so I will assume that you guys could cover 15
miles in a day easy.  here's what I would recomend:

***June 18: rent your car then and drive as close as you can to
Yosemite that night.  Its about a 3.5 to 4 hr drive and its easy to
miss exits and stuff.  If you can get to Merced that night, you will be
so much happier.  I would not advise driving past merced for a hotel
because you will just end up paying more.

***June 19: When you arrive in Yosemite, I would go grab a spot in the
backpacker's camp as soon as you can. They tend to fill up, so get it
while you can.  After that, drop by the back country office and get
your permit. Since you will have a rental car, I would spend that
morning driving to all the stuff in the valley because there is so much
to see.  I would definitely make the loop on the valley floor a least a
few times and stop to see El Capitan from different vantage points.
Also, while making this loop, stop at:
     1.  Lower Yosemite Falls (1/2 mile hike after you park) - best
parking at Yosemite Lodge across the street from the trailhead.
     2.  Bridalveil Falls (1/4 mile hike) - parking at trailhead.
     3.  The Ahwahnee Hotel - spectacular hotel built around the
1920's, $400 per night and very nice.  Since its sunday, if you get
there early enough, you can eat at the Sunday Brunch buffet, which is
dang nice ($35 per person).  If you want to eat the Brunch, you gotta
make reservations before you go.

After you've made the loop as many times as you want and seen El
Capitan and the Falls from as many different angles as you'd like,
drive up to the top of Glacier Point.  This is about a 1 hr drive from
the valley floor, but its SPECTACUAR and you will not forget it.  Its a
nice little perch from which to view the valley that rests 4000' above
the valley floor.  Incredible views of both Half Dome, El Capitan, and
the valley floor.  Definitely a "must see".

On the way up to Glacier Point, definitely stop at "Tunnel View", which
is hard to miss because its right before the road goes into a tunnel.
This is probably the most photographed vantage point in Yosemite, and
is a spectacular view of the valley which will include El Cap, Half
Dome, Bridalveil Falls, and the Merced River.  Hop back in the car and
stop at Inspiration Point and snap a few more pics from this spot which
is even better.  Jump back in the car and continue on to Glacier Point.

After you visit Glacier Point, Start the drive back to the valley floor
and stop only a few miles away from Glacier Point at the trailhead for
Sentinal Dome and Taft Point.  Each is a 2-ish mile hike, so you could
do both and it will only be 8 miles total, but you will likely ony have
time for one.  Park at the trailhead and hike to one or both of
Sentinal Dome or Taft Point.  IMO, the best view of the Entire valley
is from atop Sentinal Dome.

If you have time, continue back down toward the Valley, but instead of
turning right on 41 at Chinquapin junction, go straight (looks like a
left trun on the map, but will feel like straight when driving).
Follow this to Wawona, then grab some quick lunch/dinner at the wawona
hotel and then go check out the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias.  By
th time you are done with this, drive back to Yosemite Valley and go
the Pizza place grab a few slices of Pizza before hitting the sack.(do
not eat in the cafeteria. IMO, it SUCKS).

If you get all of that in on one day, then you guys are studs.  You
will probably not make it to Wawona and the Mariposa Grove of Giant
Sequoias.  If not, that is the least impressive thing to see, IMO.

***June 20: Start at the happy isles trailhead in Yosemite Valley EARLY
like 5am, take the Mist Trail past Vernal Falls and Nevada Falls (both
a "must see", IMO)  Stop for a moment at the top of both falls and
revel in the wonderful environment.  Don't wait too long so that you
can get to the top of Half Dome while its still early and there are no
lines at the cables.  Continue on the JMT to Little Yosemite Valley(4.2
miles) and ditch all your gear, through your food in a bear box.  Take
what you need for the rest of the 4.5 mile hike to the top of Half Dome
(Lunch on top would be nice).  Climb Half Dome and enjoy 30 minutes up
there eating your lunch and taking in the view (be sure to get your
picture on "the diving board").  Hike back down to Little Yosemite
Valley and take a dip in the Merced River if you are hot and the river
isn't raging from all the snow (the water will be COLD in any event).
At this point, you've done 12-13 miles, so you can either set up your
camp in Little Yosemite Valley or grab your stuff and continue north on
the JMT to Cloud's rest, which is another 6 miles, and climb up there
and camp.  the sunrise in the morning will be unparalleled.

***June 21: Normally, I would tell you to continue on to Cathedral
Lakes, but I honestly do not think you will be able to make it over
Cathedral pass at 9700' this year in early June.  I think that there
will still be TONS of snow.  if the snow is not prohibitive, i would
try to make it to Cathedral Lakes and camp there the night of the
21st.  This is an heavy bear area, so store your food properly.  If the
snow is probibitive, I'd just locate a nice lake on the trail map that
will leave you within hiking distance of your car on the morning of the
22nd.

***June 22: I would turn around and hike back past Little Yosemite
Valley, and past The Top of Nevada Falls, then hop on the Panorama
Trail and head back over to Glacier Point.  it sound redundant, but you
will love it.  lots of great views and a completely different
perspective than what you saw earlier.  Upon arriving at Glacier Point,
take the "Four Mile Trail" (which is really 4.5 miles) back down to
Yosemite Valley.  (if you hiked to cathedral Lakes, then continue north
on the JMt to Tuolumne Meadows and catch the YARTS bus back to the
Valley)

Sorry, I can't be more specific.  The snow makes alot of uncertainties
this year.  You will have a total blast.  feel free to email back if
you have any questions about what I said.

peace,
dude spellings
eugene, or.