[pct-l] Pacific Crest defined?

I like this idea of creating an alternative trail system to the current So
Cal PCT. I have a question that may relate somewhat to the motivation for
establishing this trail. Is there an official geographic definition of the
'Pacific Crest'? The continiental divide, for example, is precisiely defined
by the geology, or hydrology to be more accurate. I would be curious to know
if the Pacific Crest is actually  defined by local mountain topography or
was it simply given a cool sounding name and the trail was then established
in places where it required the least amount of infringement on private
property (i.e. the whole Tejon Ranch/Tehachapi conflict). To me, the Pacfic
Crest would be something like "the highest point travelling east along a
parallell of latitude between the Pacific coast and the Great Basin (or
basin-like areas such as the Lower Colorado desert). With this in mind,
maybe there are some trail systems that would better define the crest in
southern California. The Santa Rosa mountains seem to be the crest at that
latitude (I may not be right about this but I'll throw it out there for
correction). At least they naturally give way to the Desert Divide on which
the PCT resides.