[pct-l] Re: Fuller Ridge

Yes. I started from the border Mon April 18, and got up to Cedar Spring
late on Sun April 24. It had been raining, and even snowing, all day
from Tule Spring. There was some snow on trees above ~6400'. I put
screws in my shoes the next AM. Since I have never used crampons on any
of the PCT in SoCal, it didn't even occur to me to bring them. This was
all premature-- there were patches around Spitler and Apache. but
nothing even worth putting my pole together for until the traverse
under Antsell Rock. There was lots of deep snow across Tahquitz Valley,
but it was still cloudy, cold and shady and I didn't break-through very
much. The climb up to the Tram trail was mostly clear, as was the way
to Marion Ridge, where I camped. It was mostly all snow from there
around Deer Springs, since it is so shady. Most of the traverse to
Fuller was in snow, so I simply traversed the hillside. It was warming
fast on Fuller, so I broke-through a lot, but I wasn't worried about
falls and slides, just draggin' my sorry ous out of my craters. Lots of
new ice-rime and 2+ inches of new snow, down to about 6800'. Great
below: lots of water, lots of chia and orange mallow, and I dried out
quickly.
  As for navigation, the other part of your question: well, hard to
answer, since I've done these stretches so often. But the
terrain-control on your route is great, and you're never really at a
loss for visibility. Bee-lining around snow was easy.

Good Luck!
-- Ben Schifrin