[pct-l] Snow in cascades

I wasn't going to send this to the whole list since it is only
applicable to SOBOs but with the recent WA snow question from a section
hiker and the possibility that NOBOs discouraged by the CA snow might
quit and go home when they can simply go North I thought I would post
this for all to enjoy.  My disclaimer is that I am not a weather expert
but I did live in Seattle for the last 6 years and hiked, skied and
climbed in the Cascades a fair amount so I have a direct knowledge of
where these SNOTEL sites are, for whatever that is worth.

Good News!
All looks good for SOBO's if there is no new snow.  There was a lot of
melt this week.

I just checked the SNOTEL sites for WA and OR along the trail.

Approx. current depths.... N to S

Hart's Pass, WA 40 in
Stevens Pass, WA 10 in
Whites Pass, WA 0.2 in

Mt. Hood, OR 40 in
Central OR 1-0 in
Crater Lake, OR 60+in

Based on the current melt and no new snow all should be melted by June
1st, maybe a few inches at Hart's and Cutthroat pass (in far N WA) but
nothing too bad.  Crater Lake probably won't melt out until early-mid
July.  These are conservative estimates and just my best guesses based
on SNOTEL info and assuming everything keeps melting the way it has in
the last week.  Of course, the deeper valleys will have snow longer.

Yeah!
Mara

Mara Jeffress
mara@jeffress.net