[pct-l] Water in the San Felipes

Mike,

On 4/24 I hiked from Scissors to Barrel.  You said that "this Spring, the hills and ravines in

the San Felipes are  flowing with rain runoff..."  This is no longer the case.  I did get a little rain blowing in from the Vulcan Mts to the west, but except for 3rd gate I saw no water that I can remember.  Still, the hike was much better than it would have been last year.  When I started the hike it was 50 degrees; when I left the trail at Scissors last year it was 105 degrees.  However, once one gets past Agua Caliente Creek north of Warner Springs, there are streams every 3 - 5 miles.  I would encourage everyone to grab a liter wherever you can, because some of the known and reliable water sources might be off trail or not available.  Case in point is when I crossed Chihuahua Valley Road there is a big tank .3 miles east of the trail where hikers can get water.  Right now, however, that 15000 gallon tanks is empty.  However ? mile before the road is a small stream that will probably flow into mid-May.  Also about 2 miles past the Combs Peak shoulder is a stream that will probably flow until the end of May.  When and where Mother Nature provides, accept the bounty with gratitude.

Lars