[pct-l] PCT becoming less wilderness?

The PCT can handle many more hikers before overcrowding becomes a problem.
New readers to the forum might get the impression that it is becoming
crowded. No way.

Other than the first few weeks near the KO, I usually hiked and camped
alone. By the San Gabriels I had full days without seeing a sole. From
Crater Lake to Manning Park (the final 600 miles) I only camped with other
hikers (outside of towns) four times. I frequently went 3-4 days without
seeing another through-hiker. The longest stretch was five days.

You really have a choice. Ahead of me and behind were local clumps of 8-15
hikers within a day or two of each other. If you prefer a more social time,
you stay near such a cluster. If you want solitude there is still plenty out
there.

The PCT can absorb many more hikers before there is an issue. There are
local hot spots (e.g. Yosemite or Sisters Wilderness) where managing the
crowds to limit environmental damage is a challenge. But overall there are
thousands of miles of open trail. The PCT is a magical place that can have a
lasting, positive effect on people. I'd hope as many people as possible can
have that experience.

Steady (Sr)