[pct-l] Water Cache/Report Policy

It seems that the maybe a good policy for future water
caching along the PCT might relate to the availability
of nature water sources for a given year. This year is
shaping up to be one of the wettest in Southern
California in some time. Reports from folks hiking up
from the border at Campo to Lake Morena counted 16
(yes, SIXTEEN) sources of filter-ready water sources.
Rumor has it someone even FELL INTO Hauser Creek! When
16 sources of water exist in 18.5 miles of trail, are
water caches really necessary? I understand that this
abundance of water may not exist continuously NB, but
as the Schaffer books states (and I found accurate
during my '99 hike) if certain sources are flowing
south of Lake Morena, the chances of finding flowing
water NB is very likely.

I think water caches and even the 'water report' at
the ADZ should only be made available in lean years.
This would help people plan accordingly (or is that
responsibly?), remind folks that water caches are a
suppliment and a not a 'source', and help to restore
the integrity and uniqueness of the Southern
California PCT expereince.

If water caches are seen as mandatory for a hiker's
success, then I feel for those that are going to make
the long commute to the Hat Creek Rim and drought
stricken Washington State in the Fall to provide water
caches for hikers.

Brian