[pct-l] Why I boycotted the ADZPCTKO

to repeat what Strider said a couple hours ago:  YAWN.

Ginny & Jim Owen <spiritbear2k@hotmail.com> wrote:
Donna ? what you and Jeff do is very much appreciated. A lot of PCT hikers
have enjoyed your hospitality and warmth. You are truly good people. I
also know how easy it is for trail angels to get burned by a community that
takes their kindness for granted or that takes advantage of the generosity
of those who love the trail. I would hate to see that happen because of
'too much of a good thing.'

I have really enjoyed ?hearing? your voice on this forum. Yes, you
absolutely have a right to express what you think, especially since you are
very much affected by the hordes that benefit from your kindness and
generosity, but even without that, because you are a part of the PCT
community. It isn?t only thruhikers who have a right to an opinion. I
can't believe anyone actually believes that.

When we hiked the PCT in 1999, the Kickoff was still young, perhaps ¼ the
size it is now. Although it sounded like a lot of fun, and there were
several people we really wanted to meet, we decided against attending it and
making it our starting date. Instead we started a week early so that we
would be ahead of the crowd, instead of in the middle of it. Why? Because
of issues that were raised here: we don?t hike to be part of a mob, we hike
to enjoy the illusion of wilderness; we didn?t want to be competing for
services in town or water, etc. When we watched ?Walk? both of us looked at
the lines of hikers in lockstep and agreed, ?no way?. Even without the
group start, the trail was crowded in the early days ? not unbearably, but
places like the Sauffleys and the Fire House at Big Bear were overflowing.
I can?t imagine what it would have been like to be part of the crowd a week
later.

As to the question about whether people attend the kickoff to get water
information - that is probably partly true. But this list is a good
resource for all of those who don't attend the ADZPCTKO. Or put it on the
PCTA website. It isn't that hard to share the information with the list, so
everyone knows it, instead of just those who attend the kick off. Any kind
of current trail information should be shared as widely as possible - that's
one of the things PCT-l is good for, besides arguing bear canisters and ice
axes.

Ginny

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/