[pct-l] ADZPCTKO . . .

--- dsaufley@sprynet.com wrote:

> I want to state clearly that the ADZ has grown into
> the BEST event for long-distance hikers this side of
> the Mississippi, and it is quite simply wonderful...

Donna went on to add....

> ....In a nutshell, I believe that it is WRONG to
> encourage a large mass of hikers to start hiking the
> PCT on (or near) the same weekend, plain and simple.

Some of you took her email to be negative regarding
the kickoff.  Clearly, that is not so.  Her email is
quite clear on that.  Her main point is regarding the
clumping of hikers.  Anyone who doesn't think this is
happening is not paying attention.  The organizers do
not intend this, yet it is so.  This year, many hikes
will be altered because of the kickoff date, chosen
necessarily long in advance, and the accumulation of
snow not predictable at the time.  Generally, a later
kickoff date would have a lower risk of that.

In my opinion, the thru hikers themselves are affected
most.  While some prefer to hike in the vicinity of
others, many others do not.  This is a wilderness trek
after all.

I have attended three kickoffs, enjoyed them all, and
would have gone again this year if possible.  But if
thru hiking in 2005, I would not have started until
May 15 or so.  One of the aspects of thru hiking that
I enjoyed the most was the long, continuous journey in
one direction, never having to either leave the trail
or retrace my steps.

IMHO and all that.