[pct-l] KNBR reception

I didn't have a radio all through California, but
ended up getting a Sony Sports radio dropped off to me
in Ashland, OR. AM radio didn't really come in at all
in the daytime, but I was pleasantly surprised to find
TONS of channels every night (mostly talk radio
mayhem). I guess this is due to AM bouncing off clouds
and inversions? And also because the antenna in mine
was directional (are they all?), so you had to orient
the radio a certain way for best reception (doesn't
work well when hiking). The Sony radio was quite nice,
pretty quality item with good reception, and even had
a TV tuner (I listened to the Olympics for a while in
southern Oregon, and other stuff). I heard that some
people with really cheap radios just didn't get much
in the way of signals.

I got KNBR (530?) and Giants games pretty regularly in
the evenings through Oregon and much of Washington
(and I assume I would've through California too). It
was one of my fondest memories of PCT2004, strangely
enough, to be in my tarptent somewhere in the woods of
Oregon all alone, in a light rain, finally dry and
warm in my sleeping bag after a long day of wet
hiking, with a pot of mac n' cheese with garlic
cooking away in the vestibule, listening to a few
innings of a Giants game on the radio. Made me feel a
little connected to home on those dark quiet nights
alone in the woods.