[pct-l] GPS, is it worth it?

Hi all,
  I'm going to attempt a solo thru-hike of the PCT starting in campo on the 23rd. I have some but very little experience with snow route finding and map and compass work, enough to feel OK attempting this treck even with all the snow. The debate is, I have a friend who is worried and is trying to convience me to get and carry a GPS system, I have never used one and don't know if it's worth the weight and time to learn how to use one. Any Advice?
   Any insights eaither way will be helpful, mtnfaery