From: Michael Lissner <mlissner@aidshike.org>
Sent: Apr 15, 2005 12:21 PM
To: PCT List <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Thru-hiking PCT w/ dog question

Scott, I should let you know that the people on this list are decidedly
against thru-hiking with dogs. The argument is that the dogs can't tell
their owners that they are hurting, or that the dogs simply aren't built
for it, etc. Odds are good that you'll get a number of anti-dog comments.

That said, there is at least one person I can think of that is going to
be hiking with their dog this year. If you find them, you'll be in good
shape. On the other hand, if you do not, you're not going to get too
many useful answers to that question on this list.

My suggestion to you would be to carry as much of the weight as
possible, and then slowly give it to the dog until you're both equally
tired at the end of the day. I have no experience with dogs though, so
take it with a rather large grain of salt. My logic is that the dog is
going to be the one hurting more at the end of a 20+ mile section.

Good luck.

-mike

www.aidshike.org
 -510.547.4299-