[pct-l] Trail conditions Walker Pass/Hwy 178

I know this isn't as good a trail report but some info none-the-less:

I just go back from S. Cal. car camping trip (unfortunately not much
hiking when I'm with my other half) where we drove very close to PCT
sections between Hwy 14 and 178.  From the valley we saw some sparse
snow up in the Tehachapi Mts. on the south faces but not much, will be
more on the North faces.  But since the trail stays lower on the East
side of the mountains there looks to be no snow where the trail runs
South of Hwy 58.  My man graciously stopped at Walker Pass (where Hwy
178 and PCT cross) so I could get out and amble up trail a little bit
to see the view over the top of the pass and get excited about this
year's trough hike.  It was totally snow free up there, at least near
Walker pass (1647m) and for quite a ways north (I could see up to
Morris Peak 2199m and and part of Owen's Peak 2577m) until you get to
the higher mountains further North.

Hopefully, some local person can provide a better status report.  But I
was surprised how snow-free it was and thought I would pass on a
possibly hopeful note.  As always, check conditions for yourself.

Have a great hike!
Mara

Mara Jeffress
mara@jeffress.net