[pct-l] Re: Baden Powell

On our thru-hike in 2003 we went over Mt Baden Powell on May 7th.
On the ascent from Vincent Gap we had continuous snow above 7500' then
followed steps straight up the slope from 8200' to the summit. Following the
trail traversing the north side of Baden Powell was too snowy. From the
summit we followed the ridge rather or relatively snow free south facing
slopes rather than the trail on the north side in the deep snow so we went
over all the summits - Burnham, Throop and Hawkins. We ended up staying on
the crest until west of the 8426' point before plunge stepping down to find
the trail just before Windy Gap. The compass came in handy on several
occasions as it was a cold windy snowy day as well. For a full account see
the May 7th entry on our journal on pcthiker.com
http://www.pcthiker.com/cgi-bin/hikers/webdata_pctjournals.pl?pagenum=16&cgi
function=Search&owner=Alistair

Alistair

> Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:47:28 -0700
> From: "Randy Forsland" <randy_forsland@hotmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Baden Powel
> To: "pct" <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
>
> One suggestion concerning Baden-Powell. The official PCT goes around the
> mountain and never reaches the summit. That portion of the trail that goes
> around it is very difficult in the snow. Very hard to find the trail.
>
> If I had to do it over again, I would summit the Mt and then rejoin the
PCT