[pct-l] Re: VVR in '04

We had been to VVR several times since '96.  We really like Iva Bell Hot
Springs, so if we go to one, we will also go to the other.
As llamapackers we have different concerns than hikers.
We visited VVR in '04.  We had a very bad experience and we will never
return.  I have kept quiet up to this point because my bad experience
may have nothing to do with a hiker's typical experience there.  But
since so many others are chiming in, I will do so as well.
We arrived in late afternoon and wanted to have dinner.  We were
welcomed and told  to camp with our five llamas in the piece of forest
that is between the entrance and exit to the u-shaped parking area in
front of the building.  We had dinner and beer.  We were pretty well
knackered from the long hike so we went to bed about 10 PM.  Mind you we
were camped pretty close to the bar.  There was a campfire going quite
near the bar and people were sitting around it, talking loudly, until
the bar closed at 11:00.  We thought they would go to bed then, but they
didn't.  The bar closed but the campfire crowd stayed.  More people
drove in around midnight.  One late arrival in particular was very loud
and very foul-mouthed.  He couldn't compose a sentence without several
cuss words, and he was there until 4 am telling loud off color jokes
mainly about colorful women.  He was loud enough that we could hear
every word.   About 3 am someone left the fire and started walking near
us.  He saw one of our llamas laying on the ground and shouted, "there's
a bear right there!"  Another person shouted, "Get the gun!"   I shouted
back, "That's one of our llamas, don't shoot".
Needless to say, I didn't get any sleep whatsoever until the party quit
at 4 a.m.
Ray complained to the owner in the morning.  The owner said it was
hikers making the noise.  Maybe.  But hikers don't drive in in big
trucks at midnight.   As for the "shoot the bear" business, he said it
was just city people blowing off steam.
I expected a party until the bar closed.  I have seen these in past
years, and have even joined in when I could borrow a guitar.  Had I
known the party would go on til 4 am I would have camped at the
campground.  I couldn't believe anyone could sleep thru that racket.
It can't be an easy place to make a living.  But I am concerned that he
has no qualms about hosting all-night parties on his property with no
supervision.  I think there will be a bad incident someday--a shooting,
a fight, property damage--if he doesn't discourage the local barflies
from hanging out after hours.  They can bring their own coolers full of
booze after the bar closes.
I was most discouraged that he seemed to think we were the ones with the
problem.
His nonchalant and uncaring response to us when we voiced our concern is
the biggest reason we will not return.
I have no problems with the prices and I thought the food was fine.  But
I am not picky and I eat in greasy spoon buffets all the time.
llamalady