[pct-l] Jonathan Breen's 1998 photos are there

His photos are up! Or at least most of them are--and this includes the ones most
folks will be interested in.

The way to get at them is to view a journal section (by clicking on a name on
the map). Once you see a page from that section's journal, click on "photos" on
the left menu bar. That brings up a page of thumbnails which you can then click
on individually to see larger images.

Many do not have captions, but he takes enough photos of trail signs to keep you
somewhat oriented. Basically you're going to see a lot of snow and not much
trail from KM to Sierra City. You'll also see some just before and just after
Idyllwild, and some north of Wrightwood (he went up Baden-Powell). Little Jimmy
Campground looks to have several feet of snow covering it.

Also there are photos of Scott Williamson and some other folks whose names I
recognize from discussions on the list or other trail journals I've read.

This isn't to say that this year will be exactly like '98--but I think it will
give people a feel for what a "heavy snow year" might look like. Jonathan
mentioned to me that he felt that the skills he needed most were map
reading/route finding rather than actual mountaineering/snow travel skills. He
indicated that most of the people who avoided the Sierras that year did so
because they seemed to feel their route finding skills weren't up to the
challenge and he said he thought they probably made the right decision (for
them). Anyway, food for thought. Hope this helps the '05ers.

--Steve