[pct-l] Entry back into the USA via the trail Southbound

Technically, it's illegal to enter the U.S except at a designated "port of entry", which does not include the PCT crossing. It doesn't matter whether or not you are a U.S. citizen or what documents you may be carrying. If caught (however unlikely that may be), there will probably be arrest, fines, and consfication of personal property.

As an example, while doing some research on this question three years ago, I found an instance of snowmobilers briefly crossing from the U.S. into Canada while on a day trip. Observing their reentry to the U.S., the U.S. Border Patrol arrested them,
fined them $5,000 each, and confiscated their snowmobiles for not entering at
a port of entry. These were US citizens and the incidents were before Sep.11.

Yahoo! Messenger