[pct-l] Entry back into the USA via the trail, Southbound

Marge, I've crossed the border at Monument 78 twice (nobo 2003, and sobo
2004). I never saw anyone resembling border patrol either time. I'd be
surprised if patrols get out there much. The border is 8 miles in from the
road, & the next closest road on the US side is a loooong ways through some
tough country. I really doubt it's viewed as a huge security threat.

Both times I was there, the monument (which you can take apart to get to the
register -- Don't forget to do this!!!) had ample supplies of
?borderline?-legal mementoes left by jubilant hikers. I have to admit, I?ve
been jubilant at times.

I'd think if the patrol went there much, they'd clean it out.

So ... that crossing hasn't been an issue for me, twice. I could see,
though, if lots of people started doing it at the same time (e.g., big sobo
year), they might check it out more. But I personally wouldn't worry much
about it.

Though I'd definitely have my passport, a big smile, and a great attitude.

Oddly, the toughest crossing was driving into Canada to start. They must
have asked me a dozen times where I was going, how long I'd be there, etc,
all the time while looking very mean & checking out the car. I truthfully
answered that I was going hiking in Manning, and I'd be in Canada for two
days. That's exactly what I did.

savant