[pct-l] Questions about hiking the PCT in Oregon

> A) What month, generally speaking, would be the best
> to hike it [Oregon PCT]?

As always, it depends on what you think is best. The earliest
month Oregon's PCT would normally be passable is July.
It is also the month of the greatest swarms of mosquitoes.

August is normally the best compromise of good weather,
available water and open trails. It is also the month of the
greatest swarms of other hikers. These swarms, as usual,
congregate in the most popular spots and leave about 80%
of the trail pretty much alone.

September is often quite pleasant and uncrowded. It is
also a period of possible weeklong rains, shorter days
and a weather crap shoot.

> B) Given the conditions so far this year, a
> guesstimate as to what month this year would be the
> best?

Nobo, I'd start this year between June 25 and July 7, and
take DEET, a tent and a headnet. Sky Lakes can be a
trial by bloodsucker early on.

Sobo, I'd start about July 1 to July 14.

I do not own a crystal ball. Beware.