[pct-l] gear for the ADZ gathering

Bluce,

The kickoff is put on for you (plural), the aspiring thru-hikers and long
section hikers of the PCT.  You are our guests.  As such, we assume  that you
have most if not all of your gear selections done before coming to the  kickoff.
 Thus, the kickoff's focus is on services (transportation, info,  etc),
inspiration and education, not gear.  Sure, we have a  fun home-made gear contest
for entertainment and we have a small  group of very specific vendors of
ultra-light and ultra-long distance hiking  equipment.  We, the organizers of the
ADZ, are trying desperately to keep  the event from becoming a gear fest as
this, we believe, is not what our guests  are specifically looking for in
attending.

Thus, the gist of my message is that I discourage you from bringing  and
trying to sell your gear, but encourage any gear that you care to  donate either
to a hiker box or the silent auction that we hold to benefit  the ADZ funding
for the following year.

Best regards,

Greg "Strider" Hummel
ADZPCTKO Coordinator

In a message dated 4/1/2005 10:35:45 PM Pacific Standard Time,