[pct-l] Re: Some current trail conditions in Sections D & E

I completed some more of the low-elevation PCT sections with round-trip day hikes.

18 Mar Friday Soledad Canyon to Hwy 14. Crossing of Santa Clara River was easy on the fallen tree. The trail is in good shape except before the Hwy 14 tunnel where much of the trail has been eroded by water from the side canyon.  A confusing junction: after crossing the river floodplain, a sign points right into a fence. The correct way is to go left instead over a mound of dirt, then right on the dirt road. The man living in the trailer next to the trail pointed me the right direction.

19 Mar Saturday Cajon Pass to Swartout Canyon. Ascending from the pass, after the railroad crossings, you will find a few serious slide-outs which will require a lot of repair. You have to climb down onto the slides and then back up. Then there is excellent trail to Swartout Canyon.

20 Mar Sunday Swartout Canyon to one mile east of Sheep Creek Truck Rd. I turned around at 6300??? where snow patches covered the trail at steep angle- I didn???t want to risk crossing without ice axe or even poles. There is a large clear-cut of oaks where the trail goes across a steep slope at elevation 6000 with a lot of debris on the trail. I wonder why this was done. Otherwise, this trail is in good shape.

With perfect hiking weather (cool and partly cloudy) and lots of wildflowers, I was surprised to see NO other hikers, only a trail runner on Sunday. Strange with 15 million people living close by!

Craig Vassel, Walnut Creek CA

Craig and Brenda Vassel