[pct-l] Eyewear and South bounders

Hi all,

I have been lurking since Jan. and have decided to come out since I
still have one lingering question which hasn't been brought up so far
(I hope!).

I am fairly blind without contacts or glasses and I am wondering what
others like me do on a long through-hike.  I have done various combos
on my many hikes of just wearing glasses, wearing extended wear
disposable contact lenses for the entire time between resupplies (and
changing them out at stops) or carrying contact lens solutions and
taking them out every night (hard to keep hands clean).  I am leaning
towards just doing glasses since I have to carry them anyway as back up
if I go the contact route.

I was wondering what others do about this issue and if anyone has a
recommendation for lightweight, durable glasses/sunglasses combos.  I
had a pair of Wiley field googles with changeable lenses, but not in
prescription, which I am considering, because they were really light
and easy to exchange as it turns dark.

On a totally unrelated note.  The longer I wait to get my permit and
decide when to start (lots of family forces at work are making me miss
the KO and start in June instead) the more a southbound hike looks like
the best option for me.  The recent snow in the Washington Cascades may
affect WHEN in June I plan to start.  I was wondering if anyone else
had solid plans to start SOBO in June on the 1st or 15th or 30th (late,
I know).  It would be nice to start out with a few kindred souls.  I
also know a lot of Seattle folks since I just moved from there to
Berkeley, CA and can probably arrange a ride to Manning for a few folks
wanting to drive up together from Seattle.

Cheers,
Mara
(Class of '05 hopeful)
mara@jeffress.net