[pct-l] silverwood lake is open

David Tibor wrote:

>RE: Silverwood Lake
>
>That said, there were a couple of heavily eroded
>sections of trail after you leave the main lake area
>and climb away from it. One in particular was pretty
>bad, and even made one hiker turn around and road walk
>due to its sketchiness. Of course, that winding road
>isn't too safe either. So be careful.

As I pointed out in an earlier post, work has been done from Cleghorn
Ridge to Cedar Springs dam.  A temporary re-route has been built and
marked from Cleghorn Ridge to the Highway 138 underpass.  The route is
then passable from the underpass to Highway 173 near the foot of the
dam.  There is erosion damage near the underpass but it has been
traveled by hikers and livestock, and all blowdowns have been removed.
Work is underway to repair the damage behind the Mojave River Dam (C
13).  About half the damaged tread has been restored, and about 600 feet
of tread will be restored soon, making the trail passable from Deep
Creek Crossing to hiway 173.  Hikers have reported that the trail is
passable from the 173 crossing to Cedar Springs Dam.
HOWEVER there is severe landslide/slideout damage to the trail from
Devils Hole to Deep Creek (C11-12) crossing.  Currently it is impassible
to stock, but a few intrepid hikers have gotten thru.  It will require
major work and heavy equipment to repair.
Projects to repair these two areas are pending.
llamalady