[pct-l] silverwood lake is open

> There was a lot of confusion in '04 about the PCT
and the Silverwood Lake area.  It was severely damaged
by fire earlier in 2004 and some thought the PCT was
closed in this area (it wasn't).

I don't think any HIKERS thought it was closed, not at
least until some ranger stopped hikers (just after I
got through) and told them it was closed (and
dangerous) and that they had to hike the road around
it. Chipper and Jeff even got turned back by some
mysterious loudspeaker telling them to immediately
turn around, while a helicopter circled overhead.
Silly.

That lasted one day apparently, until those authority
figures were informed that it actually WAS open for
PCT hikers. I was glad that I got to "sneak" through
the park on that day, and very happy to lay on the
green grass at the picnic area and take a nap. The
water was even on in the spigots. It was funny to be
in such a huge recreational area on a Sunday with no
speedboats and screaming kids.

That said, there were a couple of heavily eroded
sections of trail after you leave the main lake area
and climb away from it. One in particular was pretty
bad, and even made one hiker turn around and road walk
due to its sketchiness. Of course, that winding road
isn't too safe either. So be careful.