[pct-l] Question for the snow experts

The key to your question is this statement:  "given
what we currently know about where the snow is".

I am not an expert regarding snow.  In fact, I don't
know anything about predicting snow levels.  Today is
March 27.  There is 2 1/2 months before hikers reach
Kennedy Meadows.  A lot can happen in that time ---
fast melt, more storms, who knows?  Nobody can accurately
predict what mother nature has in store for the next
2 1/2 months.

In 2001, we started the PCT on May 6, walked at a very
fast pace, and reached VVR on June 28.  July 4 at VVR
is not out of the question, especially if you take
SoCal slow.

There is a strange thing with internet lists like PCT-L.
People who post a lot and answer a lot of questions can
inaccurately be viewed as experts.  I consider myself a
lucky person.  I've been lucky to have hiked many miles
on the PCT.  Three years in a row was a dream come true.
But my opinion is certainly no more valid than someone
who section hikes or thru-hiked only once.  And I am not
the person to answer questions about snow.

 . . . . except to say this:  Go to Campo and hike north.
If it turns out that you need to skip the Sierra and come
back to it later, you will make that decision on the trail.
To sit at home right now and choose a jumping-ahead spot
is fun for planning but not very realistic.

I enjoy chiming in on PCT-L and TrailForums every day.
It's a fun hobby, especially since I'm not hiking this
season.  It's no secret that I'm very opinionated and
just a little bit stubborn.  It's nice that you directed
your question to me, but I sure hope that the real snow
experts out there will chime in on this one.

yogi
www.pcthandbook.com

Peter Hoffman <pdhoffma@swbell.net> wrote:
A question for Yogi, although anyone may chime in.

I am aware of you strong feelings about doing a continuous, contiguous
thruhike from your handbook. (In fact, after reading it for what must
be the 47th time, I think I about have it all memorized.) However, this
year might be the one where that is going to be very difficult.
Particularly, if VVR is not open until July 4, as Tom Reynolds
speculates.

So the question is, given what we currently know about where the snow is
and is not and your knowledge of the trail and terrain, where would you
jump ahead to for two weeks before returning to Kennedy Meadows to
continue? Thanks.

Pete Hoffman
"Old Corpus"