[pct-l] planning the hike

Greetings all -

I originally was planning to start in Campo early
April, but given my lack of financial resources
(travel down) I have postponed the trip till mid May
after the Spring Earth Summit in Oregon or Northern
California.

Does anyone see any problems with starting the trail
mid May?

Its always been my dream to do the trail - originally
it was the AT when I used to live over in the East,
but since living on the West coast I've been inspired
by the PCT.

5 years ago me and my wife (at the time) hiked 3/4
across the state of New York on the AT, however that
is the farthest I've ever hiked - different terrain,
different abilities.

For an enthusiastic newbie, who is just deciding to
go, pretty much with the equiptment he already has,
having already looked over many journals and lists and
web sites ... any suggestions? Should I be joining
some local hiking groups?  Part of me is afraid of
doing the trail by myself but I've really no choice as
I don't have anyone I know who is up going.  I'll be
coming from Washington.

Or would it be better to start out since I'm up here,
from the Canadian border and work my way down to Campo
by fall?  If I did that, what month should I be
starting out?

Leaf