[pct-l] Re: Silverwood Lake

A crew worked on the detour at Silverwood Lake on March 5-6.
It was deemed not possible to repair the existing trail this year
between Cleghorn Ridge and the Lake Inlet, so a temporary re-route was
constructed on an old dirt road.  The high water in the Mojave River has
wiped out the trail and some roadway near the overpass, and the highway
exits into the park have been closed for a couple months due to the high
runoff and the huge deposition of silt in the area.
The temporary reroute is signed and ready for this years' hikers.  After
crossing under the highway overpass, you walk up the park road, past the
Ranger Station and group camp.  You turn right and climb a very steep
paved road that leads to a water tank, then continue on the dirt road to
meet the trail near Cleghorn Ridge.  This cuts off at least a mile of
PCT, but avoids the slideouts and damaged areas.  The temp route is
steep in places but scenic.
The trail is open and clear from 173, past the dam, to the overpass.
There is tread damage and significant road damage near the overpass, but
our livestock handled the whole route without a problem,  and  we
cleared all the brush obstacles between 173 and 138, along the lakeshore.
llamalady