[pct-l] Quick question ya'll

My boyfriend and I are looking at a PCT hike in 06' and had a couple of
questions. My questions are, which do ya'll recommend, a freestanding
tent or one that needs staking down and is this something we can just
jump up and do or should we sit down and do some serious planning? (He
hiked the AT last year on a whim and figured we could do the same with
PCT, however I've been list-lurking for a while and I'm getting the
impression that there just may be a little more to it than that...) And
his question was how's the hitchhiking? Is it as safe as it is on the
ol' AT? Thanks for all the help! Happy hiking!