[pct-l] osprey aether - anyone like this pack

> Just wanted to hear from some folks who may used the osprey aether and
> the gregory g-pack.

Aether 45 or Aether 60?  Comments about them below.  I tried the first
year g-pack.  Thought there were a number of better packs which were
lighter, more durable, and had better carry comfort.  The 2005 g-pack
has been updated... I have no experience with it but would still favor
other packs.  http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/pack.html#light

> I am considering switching to the dark side

???

> seeing as how the suspension system on the osprey just sucks if i plan
> on eating for more than 2 or 3 days of any sort of long distance hike.

Huh?  In general... I wouldn't suggest considering a pack which you
think sucks and/or can't carry the food+gear you need.  If it won't
hold more than 2-3 days worth of food for you, then you should either
lighten your load before considering this pack, or carrying a larger
pack which is comfortable for you.

As to the performance of the Aether: The Aether 60's suspension has
been really great for a lot of people.  Best pack I have used for
25-40 lbs.  I think it has been one of the more popular packs on the
AT which tends to carry heavier loads than PCT.  I have no problems
carrying >1 weeks worth of food + all my gear, or 5 days worth of food
+ my heavier/bulkier winter gear.  I found the Aether 45 to be
reasonably comfortable and I can use it for three season trips for up
to 5 days (8 days in the summer if I have a bear canister).. but for
me, the Granite Gear Vapor Trail is a better pack (able to carry a
wider range of volume / weight with more comfort).

--mark