[pct-l] Snake experiences

I've never been bit or struck at. In 3,500+ miles  of hiking. I've seen 1
Eastern Diamondback on the AT (I stepped down beside his  tail; it was laying
along the right edge of the trail; it was Sep, too cool up  in the Smokies, and
it didn't move; I did, however, 2 giant backwards steps and  a "whoa".)
    I've seen 1 Rock Rattler in Guadalupe Mtns NP  - 2 ft long, buzzed, and
kept on moving. In the same 4 days of day hiking I came  across 2 Black Tailed
Rattlers - mating - too busy for me. Pervert and  voyeur that I am, I took a
30 minute break to watch. In all of Big Bend,  and 400+ miles of hiking, I've
never seen any snakes, except dead rattlers and  live Red Racers on the roads.

Bob "Trekker"
Big Bend Desert Denizen
(Naturalized Citizen, Republic of  Texas)