[pct-l] Steripen

I've bought a Steripen; I haven't tried it out yet,  except in the sink; but,
I can tell you the weight with 4 Lithium AA batts, a  light blue, nylon stuff
sack, & 20 coffee filters is 7 oz. No  one can beat that weight.

    The light blue stuff sack is the one that used to  hold my Walbro, my
First Need, my Sweetwater, and my PUR Hiker. I forget what  the problem with the
Walbro was, but it was a cup like pour through, possibly  just very slow. The
First Need clogged; the original Sweetwater clogged;  and the Hiker clogged -
even with prefilters on the latter 2. I finally started  carrying coffee
filters, extra prefilters, and returned to the Sweetwater; I'd  still use it, but
it weighed a pound with all the extras; with a coffee  filter hair-banded over
the intake prefilter, the regular prefilter (and  carrying spares), and a lot
of pumping work it was the best of the bunch. BTW,  coffee filters are
extremely light, dry very quickly (even in a pocket), and  burn very easily.
    I'm going to try the Steripen for it's 7 oz  weight; it'll purify 1 qt in
1.5 min (probably 2.5 min with  prep), including killing giardia, crypto, and
viruses. However there is no  carbon in it to filter out chemicals. They do
make a stainless prefilter for  rough junk, but it only fits a Nalgene bottle;
I use Platys, so I'll have  to figure out how to effectively use the coffee
filters to help a bit in places  like Yogi's favorite cow shit source.
    I know I said weeks ago that I'd report on my  experience with the
Steripen, but I just haven't taken that longer shakedown  hike yet. I'll have to
very soon, of course; I've just about got my Luxury Lite  pack use, fit, packing,
etc worked out to my satisfaction. I've been doing  1-2 hours up a small
mountain/large hill 4 blocks(nice warm up/cool down)  from me. Anyhow, I will
report on the Steripen soon, from 2-3 days in Big Bend  Nat'l Pk or Big Bend Ranch
St Pk or both (they're right next to each other and  about 100 miles from
me).

Bob  "Trekker"
Big Bend Desert Denizen
(Naturalized Citizen, Republic of  Texas)