[pct-l] elevatoin sickness

In a message dated 3/19/2005 12:22:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
verber@gmail.com writes:

> http://www.ismmed.org/np_altitude_tutorial.htm
>

>From the website....

>>Recently some exciting work has been done studying the use of Ginkgo biloba
extract to prevent AMS. Much more work remains to be done, but in three
studies Ginkgo has been shown to be very effective in preventing or lessening the
symptoms of AMS. It has yet to be determined exactly how Ginkgo works at
altitude, but it may act as an antioxidant, reducing stress on tissues that have
been injured by low oxygen levels.

These studies used a standardized Ginkgo biloba extract (24% flavonoid
glycosides, 6% terpenoids). The dose used was 80 - 120 mg twice a day, starting 5
days before a rapid ascent or at the beginning of a gradual ascent.<<

I started taking Ginkgo a couple months ago along with some other supplements
including Glucosamine and Chondrotin.  I have to wonder if there's any
advantage or disadvantage in taking it several months before a high altitude hike
such as the JMT as I'm not likely to have time to acclimate.

As a rule I've never been terribly bothered by AMS but have noticed a
difference in higher elevations, most notably, restless nights of sleeping.

Sly