[pct-l] Yaktrax

>> David wrote: Has anyone used these?  http://www.basegear.com/yaktraxpro.html

My girlfriend & I each got a pair of these to negotiate the snowy/icy neighborhood streets and trails (packed conditions only).  They work pretty well.  The Pro model with the strap across your forefoot will stay on much better than the regular model, but they do still slip off at the toe or heel sometimes.  However, they are easy & quick to put on & remove.  They work OK with running shoes.

We have used them all winter, across hard snow & ice, and occasionally bare asphalt, and they show no signs of wearing out.  I realize that is only occasional use, but on a thru-hike you would only be wearing them on the high passes when the snow is hard.  No snow & they're off, postholing & they're off.  I think they would last through the Sierras with that sort of occasional use.

They may not be ideal for very hard very steep slopes, but they are better than nothing, and you should still have your ice axe.  I carried instep crampons through the Sierras in 2003 and hardly used them.  I would much rather have had these.

Ajax