[pct-l] Re: Liebre-Sawmill Mountain conditions, tracfone, and introduction

I?ve been reading these messages for a while but this is my first posting, so I?ll introduce myself first. I am a 56-year old (retired one year from the Federal government) environmental planner. I?ve walked 400 miles of the SoCal PCT over the last three years as short backpacks or dayhikes.

I just finished Section E in February, with a series of out and back day hikes.

Last November 2004, I hiked From Pine Can to Liebre Mtn Ridge and back.  From the road up the ridge this area is mostly burned. There are nice forests the north side of the ridge. Snow should all be melted by now. I don?t know if the rains caused any damage.

On 13 February I drove up 7N23 from Pine Can Rd. to the PCT with a non-4WD car. The road is sometimes badly eroded with loose rocks but passable. Maxwell Truck Trail is probably passable. I hiked west on the PCT. There were a few blow downs from 7N23 west along the ridge.

On 27 Feb, I hiked from Lake Hughes Rd. to 7N23 and back. The PCT is in fairly good condition except for motorcycle tracks along the entire distance.

On 28 Feb, I hiked from Agua Dulce to Hwy 14. There was a lot of water to cross in Escondido Canyon and the trail disappears in places. I drove to Soledad Canyon Road but the crossing of the creek to go north on the PCT looked too treacherous to attempt for now.

Fresh motorcylce tracks can be found the entire distance.

One hazardous spot is just west of Bouquet Canyon, where the stream bank has eroded and the trail is gone.

Many paved roads were marked ?closed- local traffic only? but easily passable by car.

I think this is an optimum time for this part of the PCT. You can see the miracle of water turning the parched and burned landscape into a lush and green paradise. Lots of streams are flowing.

Also: I take a Tracfone along and check service along the way. Most of SoCal has good service from the PCT.

Craig Vassel
Walnut Creek CA  (Bay Area)

Craig and Brenda Vassel