[pct-l] Keeping your Cell Phone Number Without Paying for It (T-Mobile)

I moved to Ireland in 2003 and had endless conversations with T-Mobile
customer service on similar issues (I still had a contract to fulfill).
In a nutshell, here's what my options were:

* You can pay a small monthly fee (I remember it being $10/month) to
"extend" your contract if you haven't satisfied the initial time period.
These months don't count towards your contract time, but basically put
your number and your contract on hold so that you can resume it at a
later date (and thus avoid the cancellation penalty).

* If you're moving somewhere that they can't provide you service, they
are required to release you from the contract.  Not sure if a general
delivery address along the trail would qualify, but I just gave them my
office address in Ireland and they unlocked my phone and terminated my
contract early with no penalties (and gave away my number 60 days
later...).

I also wonder if you could convert your service to pre-paid.  Keep your
number, have someone make a 1-min call from it every month or two.  I
don't know, but it might be worth a shot.

Bethany