[pct-l] Yogi sez.... I say....

 . . . well, my favorite advice in the book comes
from Special Agent and Teatree regarding Woody Pass
in Northern Washington.  It goes like this:

"SPECIAL AGENT (2003):  DO NOT take the old alternate
route to Woody Pass.  Going North on the PCT there,
right in front of you is the old route of the trail.
You can see it cut into the side of the mountain going
all the way to Woody Pass.  It's a straight shot.  But
as you start along this old trail, you will pass a sign
that says "abandoned trail".  That alone there should
tell you something.  But Teatree and I hiked on and
eventually had to turn around after 3/4 mile.  The
trail was so narrow and eroded that after you took
a step, it would wash away down a steep-ass hill.
So . . . . . don't ever take side trails that have
signs that say "abandoned trail".  And don't take
this old alternate route, OK?

TEATREE (2003)  Special Agent is NOT kidding.  Whatever
you do, don't take this abandoned trail.  I cannot
stress this enough.  Unless you want to DIE on your
very last day of hiking, suck it up and hike your ass
to the Pass on the official PCT.  I honestly don't
think you'll get there any other way.  What were we
thinking?"

yogi
www.pcthandbook.com

"Freiman, Paul" <pfreiman@ucsd.edu> wrote:What is your favorite advice from Yogi's book? My favorite is the wearing of liner socks and tennis shoes. It's true that other people my have suggested this first, but none more passionately that Yogi. I went from boots with two wools socks to New Balance with liner socks.

Now, my favorite piece of advice is to wear a fleece balaclava to bed. It will make you so toasty. You will realize that it wasn't your sleeping bag that was deficient, but your sleepwear.

Capt Bivy