[pct-l] Fuller Ridge / San Jacinto

ah.... yes!   Cutting steps.  See, I forgot about that!  :)

yogi
www.pcthandbook.com

Bighummel@aol.com wrote:
Yogi writes:
"That said, what good would an ice axe be for this section?
Go ahead and hit me, I'm ready for the blow!!!"

Yogi, I think that I know you well enough that none of your communications would be meant in an antagonistic manner.

Fuller Ridge, being on the north face of San Jacinto and therefore in its shadow well into the Spring, and yet immediately adjacent to the desert and therfore subject to periodic warm winds in the Spring, can and has melted in the day and frozen solid ice in the night.  Should you as a thru-hiker come through in this condition, you may find it cloaked in solid ice.  Yep, the runouts are too short to self arrest, but an ice axe can be used to cut steps and secure yourself in times of peril.  Crampons might be a good alternative to an ice axe in these conditions.

I've seen it in these conditions as have others.   Your timing and the conditions will always vary.  Better safe.  There is no alternate route around Fuller Ridge other than walking the long winding road from Idylwild.

Best regards,

Greg