[BULK] - [pct-l] Urushiol myths according to zanfel.com

Another misconception on PO: Just about all the pamphlets, literature,
etc. I've read describe poison oak as growing up to 30-36 inches. Wrong.
I've seen PO grow, by itself, up to 5 feet high. Actually, I see it this
high just about every day along The Ortega Highway on my drive in to
work. And if the stalk finds something to grow onto, it'll climb like a
vine as high as it's support is. I've seen it growing up into trees over
14 feet high.

I'm surprised that some people have seen it around Campo. I've only
hiked from the Southern Terminus to Morena once. And it was during the
last dry spell. I saw very few green, leafy vegetation. And these were
only growing in the shelter of ravines. I've also never seen PO in
chaparral, let alone seeing it "full of it". But PO grows pretty
quickly.

Maybe I'm a little too cautious. I try to avoid brushing up against any
plants while I'm hiking. More for the avoidance of ticks (I've never had
a tick that I know of either.).
But during my hike through section A, if there was any kind of green
leafy plant it certainly catches your attention (everything has been
just SO brown and dry out there).

Also, whenever I'm on damp ground, I'm looking out for PO. Paranoid, I
guess.

I remember one time fishing in the San Juan Creek, along the Ortega
Highway, back when the DFG used to stock the creek with trout. The only
way to get from one pool of water to the next was to crawl IN the creek,
with your shoulders and head the only parts above water, and that was
still ducking below the overgrown brush.
I saw tons of PO and avoided it as best I could. A friend who was with
me followed along behind me, tracing my route as I picked my way along
the creek.
When we got back, my friend was rashing up pretty bad, while I was
untouched.

Maybe I'm one of the lucky few who are immune from it. But I don't want
to confirm the theory and I'm not taking any chances!

Yogi- I didn't mean to imply that you crawled blindly through brush.
Poor choice of words on my part. But I haven't seen an abundance of PO
in Section A or in the lowlands of Section B. Never seen it above 5k
anywhere.
In my backyard, the Cleveland NF above Lake Elsinore, poison oak is
everywhere! Luckily, it's easily identified (one of the very few plants
I CAN identify).

For those of you who don't know what poison oak looks like (I've never
liked the "leaves of three" description, as it can be applied to so many
other plants out there.) check out: http://poisonivy.aesir.com/

Oh- and by the way: My biggest fear is getting DEAD poison oak on me.
Dead, brown PO looks like any other dead brown plant. And the oils that
cause the rashes are still on the dead leaves. And dead vegetation is
everywhere.

M i c h a e l   S a e n z
McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e    P l a n n i n g    I n t e r i o r s
w  w  w  .  m  v  e  -  a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s  .  c  o  m