[pct-l] condensation on inside of homemade tarptent

Ilja wrote:

I have had condensation in the 2 person tarp tent (with 2 people). Now I

tested it recently alone in the continuous rain (all night) on grass.
There were little streams running all around the tarp tent. So I doubled

up with a bivy sack. (Not something I would usually carry.) I had zero
condensation on the tent walls! (Some of course inside the bivy.) Maybe
had enough of an air flow. Or it is the body moisture that normally
causes
the condensation on the tent walls. So having a VBL might solve the
problem. Worth experimenting and carrying a thin trash bag.

As a general rule, I've found that I get much more condensation when I
pitch my tarp out in the open on a clear night than I do on a cloudy,
rainy night.  The reason being (I think) that on a clear night in the
open the thin fabric easily radiates away its heat to the sky and
becomes colder than the surrounding air, which causes condensation.  If
I pitch the tarp under trees, the problem is much lessened because there
isn't as much heat radiating away.  And if it's cloudy and rainy, I
don't get much condensation either because the fabric is the same
temperature as everything else.

All that to say that I think your success the second time had much more
to do with the weather than with your VBL.

Eric