[pct-l] tents

> I am preparing to thru hike the PCT in 2006 and am currently researching
tents.
> I have not found the perfect tent, (is there such a thing?), but have
narrowed it
> down to a couple.  I'd really input from those of you who have hiked the
PCT
> as a thru hiker and the pros and cons of the tent(s) you used.  Thanks so
much. Al

There is no perfect tent, only the tent that represents the best set of
trade-offs for the style of hiking you prefer. Then it is perfect for you.

Some pertinent questions:
 1) Which "couple" of tents have you "narrowed it down to" already?
 2) Do you carry/use trekking poles that can double as tent poles?

The main trade offs include:
 1) Weight
 2) Roominess
 3) Ease of set up
 4) Bugproofness
 5) Ability to withstand rain and wind
 6) Privacy or lack of it.
 7) There are probably some others I'm forgetting.

Hikers who use trekking poles have increasingly turned to tarp tents
like the Henry Shires or Six Moons Designs models. You can suit
yourself about whether you get a floor or bug netting sewn on them.
They represent a good set of compromises for a great many hikers,
but not all. They don't require you to carry trekking poles, but their
advantages are smaller if you don't, since you must provide some
kind of pole to set them up with.