[pct-l] Getting Started in San Diego

For the seventh year, it will be my pleasure to help hikers get off to a good start in San Diego.  I will meet hikers at the airport, train or bus station and provide a place to stay for a night or so, and get them to the trailhead at Campo.

Usually, hikers arrive in SD while I am at work, 7:00am to 2:15pm.  Sometimes they wait for me or sometimes they take the bus to my house.  Most hikers spend a night or two with me, during which time we can usually get to REI or A-16 for last minute gear, and get to a grocery store.  I always have Coleman fuel and alcohol.  Hikers who need a specific fuel cannister need to tell me which one and how many.  I have received numerous packages sent to hikers from gear vendors or advance packages sent by themselves.  If you don't have an alcohol stove, I will make you one.

The best way to start is to be at the monument at first light, 5:40am.  This requires leaving the house at 4:30 after a 4:00am wakeup call.  I do not mind the early departures at all, having done this dozens of times.  I can leave the monument at 5:45 and be in my classroom ready to teach at 7:00.

The average year brings me thirty hikers, and it gets very busy the week of ADZPCTKO.  I am one of the organizers of the event, so I will be at the Lake Morena campground from Friday afternoon till Sunday noon.  My van carries 6 hikers and gear plus the driver. When it's full, it's full.  First come, first to be served.  If you are late making arrangements, I will do my very best to accommodate you, but many in the past have had to wait a day for their ride to the trail due to the van being full.  Most hikers will be in their bags on the floor.  I have an RV and a pool, so there is no place to pitch your tent.

Due to health considerations of a family member, I must limit my accommodations to non-smokers.  If you are a smoker, even if you only smoke outdoors, please do not ask to stay with me.

If you need the services I provide, please respond by email.  Please do not make me a backup or contingency plan as you will most likely be denying a spot to another hiker.

Hike on !  Bob Riess at the trailhead.