[pct-l] covering the pct on mountain bike

On 05.01.27, raymond greeley wrote:
> thought i might try cycling part of the pct
> near the the areas i'm considering (see below)

	I'll run counter to the flow on PCT-L, and note (for accuracy,
and on account of my alleged "sense of humor") that there are indeed
sections of the PCT on which you might ride your mountain bike without
legal repercussions (or social percussions).  These are sections on
which the PCT is colocated on an existing paved or dirt road, parking
lot, or other multiuse area.  These sections are not usually noted as
being either scenic or long, although they tend to be more accessible
than the bulk of the PCT.

	You are also allowed to *cross* the PCT on your mountain bike
if the area adjacent to the PCT is open to mountain bike activities.
Note, please, that there are areas where an attempt is being made to
isolate the PCT from surrounding multiuse land, with crossings limited
to preselected locations in order to reduce the damage to the trail
caused by wheeled uses, even transverse ones.

	You could carry your bike along the PCT so its wheels don't
touch the ground, I suppose.  Put a folder bike in a carry bag, and
call it an internal-frame pack.  Put saddle bags on your bike, and
call it an external-frame pack.  Start a new trend in ultraheavy
hiking!  This approach might be viewed unfavorably in certain
wilderness domains.  It could make for some great photo ops, though!

	Finally, if your bike is big enough, you can lay it on the
ground and cover the PCT.

	I think that completes the options.

					Craig "Computer" Rogers